Sunday, January 27, 2008

Time goes by

At this time, Thien's province, Phu Tho, will not release the final paperwork we need to move forward to adopt her. We don't expect to receive it any time soon.

If and when we receive it, we will then have to file a petition with the U.S. Embassy through a new system the Embassy implemented that will add a minimum of two months to the process.

I could sit here and try to spell out the convoluted details of the bureaucracy that is causing children in Vietnam to spend unnecessary months institutionalized.

Those of you in the Vietnam adoption community already know the frustrating details. Those of you who just want to know "when" probably don't want to hear the mucky details of "why" and "how" a hasty implementation of a process that was supposed to provide adoption transparency has caused such a negative effect on US/VN relations, adoptive parents and especially the orphans who remain parentless. You'd wisely scroll to the bottom of my 7-page post just to find out, "Ok, when?".

Right now, we're just focusing on the hope that the final outcome will be that we get to bring Thien home to us, period. Of course I am absolutely hoping to be with her by June 28th to celebrate her first birthday with her, but it's settling in that that may be too lofty a wish.

As of this morning in Vietnam, right now, Thien is exactly 7 months old.

5 comments:

K said...

I'm so so so sorry. :(

Mrs.B said...

It is so unfortunate that so many children and familes are caught up in this mess. My heart aches for all of you!!

Kate said...

I hope that some day this will all be a distant, distant memory and you will be happy holding Thien in your arms.

I wish that for all of us.

Keep faith.

Anna said...

Karen,

I am thinking about you so much. I am so hoping PT moves in the direction to unite you with your baby soon!

Discouraged in South Lyon said...

Dear Corey and Karen,

My heart goes out to both of you for what appears to be an agonizing process. Even though words of encouragement abound, I hope that you both find the strength and courage to hang in there and get what you want and deserve. I am sure that this blog helps you as much as it helps the rest of us understand what you are going through.
Love Always,