Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hard to Say Goodbye

Today we are saying farewell to our little Vietnamese princess. We received word that it is final, we will not be united with Thien. My heart broke in half when I found out she is still in the orphanage at 13 months and 1 day old. If she was not to be united with us, our hope was that she had already been adopted by a loving family in a non-U.S. country. To me Thi symbolizes thousands of orphans worldwide who get caught up in red tape.

I can't believe it was almost a year ago Corey and I cried with happiness when we saw Thi's face for the first time. We feel like we've lost a child. She will always be a part of our family and I will forever wonder and worry about her. My Mom is making a final plea with a letter to Thi’s province. I know the decision is final, but I think the letter is incredibly sweet. I'll be visiting my friend, Tina, soon, to have her translate it so my Mom can mail it.

“Dear _____”

I wish to extend my respectful greeting to you.

My daughter and her husband received a referral to adopt a baby girl from your Province in August, 2007. The baby was born on June 28, 2007 and her name is Thi Thi _____. She lives in an orphanage in Phu Tho.

Our entire family, parents, grandparents (of which I am one), aunts, uncles and cousins have been making plans for this baby’s arrival into our lives. She entered our hearts on the day my daughter and her husband received the referral. We have waited and waited and waited to hear news of when the prospective parents could travel to your Province to make the adoption final.

Sadly we have learned today that Phu Tho Province will not release this baby for adoption. Our hearts are broken. I am writing this letter to you to plead for reconsideration of the decision not to release Thi Thi for adoption by Karen and Corey Hedge.

Every member of our family has the desire and means to provide this baby girl with a stable home life, a good education and a wonderful childhood. If you met with my daughter and her husband for just an hour, you would learn that they are wonderful, hardworking people who would provide this adorable baby with a wonderful home and upbringing. Part of their preparation to receive Thi Thi has been to learn more about the Vietnamese culture and find families who are of Vietnamese heritage so that this baby will always know her heritage.

I hope this letter shows you that I am just a grandmother who is pleading to you to allow this child to come to the United States and be raised by a wonderful couple and their family …”

11 comments:

The Pence family said...

My heart is breaking with you. I am so thankful for you, and your friendship. I pray that somday we will be able to travel together to get the babies that God has prepared for us.I am here for you anytime.
Love you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I don't know what to say other than I'm thinking of you during this time and will be praying for you.

Tammy said...

Karen,

I cannot imagine the pain that you are feeling. I am so sorry. I could feel your mom's passion in her letter. Please know that you are in my thoughts tonight.

Tammy

Carissa said...

My heart breaks for your family. Your entire family is in my prayers.

Mrs.B said...

I am so very sorry Karen. I hope that one day you will be able to find peace, for now you need time to grieve the loss of your Thi. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Take Care,
Tamara

Jackie said...

I just read the letter written by your Mother to the government of VietNam. It was very well written. I only hope and pray that your Mother's plea will enter the heart of someone with authority. The fact that "your daughter" is growing up thousands of miles away is heartbreaking. There are no words appropriate. Just remember to take care of yourselves so you may continue your journey. Love from Jackie Jones

Karen said...

Karen, I don't know what to say. I can identify with the pain of loss in one way because I've had my share. But I know what you're going through is very, very different. I'm praying someone will come to their senses, for the sake of the kids caught in this mess -- as well as the families who've been waiting for them.

My heart and my prayers are with you.
Karen Wall

Paul and Angela said...

Karen,
I do not know you, but happened upon your blog. I am sitting here in tears for you. We are waiting to get our little boy from Vietnam and I cannot imagine what you are going through. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Angela

Veronica said...

I am so sorry to hear your news. We lost our Phu Tho Princess in January, after having her referral for 3.5 months. We still grieve her loss.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Anna said...

Karen,

There are no words...I am so so sorry. Your mom is wonderful and eloquent, I hope that PT acknowledges the pain you are in. Your friend, Anna

Anna said...

Karen,

There are no words...I am so so sorry. Your mom is wonderful and eloquent, I hope that PT acknowledges the pain you are in. Your friend, Anna